Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Macbeth does murder sleep.....

"...Sleep that knits up the ravell'd sleeve of care,
The death of each day's life, sore labour's bath,
Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course,
Chief nourisher in life's feast." Macbeth Act II, Scene II

This has always been one of my favorite quotes. I love to sleep, it is one of my favorite past times. To curl up in comfortable warmth and drift off into lovely dreams while forgetting about the troubles of the day; it is an escape as much as it is rejuvenating. It powers us, allows our muscles to rebuild and wake up stronger, and it washes away the hurts of yesterday.

When you can't sleep, it becomes a nightmare, robbing you of logical though, emotional control, and good health. For several days I was missing this important ingredient in life. I hadn't slept well in nearly a week and it was intensifying my RA. Fortunately, I finally broke the cycle last night and got a great night's sleep. I woke up early, refreshed and ready to take on the day. I ran 2 miles, did all my stretches and sit-ups, and got a long list of to-do's crossed off!

It is absolutely amazing what one night of sound sleep can do for you, mentally and physically!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow great blog, and thats exactly what I was thinking about all the healthy lazy people. We do nothing because we don't think about our health unless we're sick. Having RA hurts to the bone and even thinking sometimes hurts but after that battle with RA and for now winning, I will never slow down. I know today may be the last day I can run so I'm on the streets running and having a blast, knowing that some day again I may have to look at a wheelchair and know I can push myself in it faster than I could walk. those thoughts are a deep reminder to keep going while We can. And reading this blog I know now it's something RA brings that drives lazy people like myself to run marathons.

DuckvilleRunner said...

Nothing better then a good night sleep, it makes so much difference in a day.